Head of Fleet
Moove is on a mission to make Africa and other emerging markets more productive and successful by redefining access to auto finance and vehicle ownership. Our starting point is a technology-enabled lending model to radically transform the availability of auto finance and vehicles for on-demand ridesharing services across tier 1 African cities. By doing so, Moove is creating sustainable jobs for mobility entrepreneurs in the mobility sector.
About the Role
Moove is looking for an experienced leader with strong business acumen and an entrepreneurial attitude to be the Chief Fleet Officer, reporting to the Country Manager. As a proven result–driven person, the Chief Fleet Officer will be leading the fleet team to increase productivity and improve safety for the company’s vehicles and drivers.
The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of the automotive finance, fleet leasing management or car rental industry and a proven track record in developing territories, implementing successful growth strategies and leading teams. The Chief Fleet Officer will be prepared to be fully accountable for the success of the entire fleet operations team.
In this role, you will dig deep into the management of drivers and vehicle maintenance so as to make the fleet team more efficient, effective and amazing. If you've got great leadership skills, some big ideas, and an uncanny knack for organization, this is the role for you!
We are looking for a Chief Fleet Officer who will manage all fleet related projects, tasks and deliverables within our fleet operations team and also be a representative and ambassador for the team across the company as well as to external stakeholders. The ideal candidate for the role will be someone who is a fleet expert and who also has deep knowledge in vehicle tracking systems, efficient fuel consumption system, managing drivers and other support staff.
What You’ll be Doing
- Developing and implementing Standard Operating Policies (SOP) and systems to maintain vehicles by advocating best practices within the industry.
- Supervising team captains.
- Accurate capturing of fleet expenses using the fleet management software.
- Sourcing, negotiating and procurement of vehicles.
- Monitoring inventory to ensure vehicles are available in line with demand.
- Ensuring efficient and cost-effective service delivery to all clients
- Preparation of proposals on vehicle leasing and fleet management.
- Managing team captains and resolve conflicts with creative problem-solving skills.
- Recruitment, selection and training of team captains and other support staff as required by the company.
- Managing day-to-day activities of all fleet management contracts to ensure quality service delivery, cost reduction and increased profitability.
- Overseeing assigned fleet operations and making direct reports to the Chief Fleet Manager (CFM) on fleet performance and other operational requirements.
- Provide monthly fleet accounts reports to the CFM on all fleet operations and maintenance.
- Coordinating maintenance, servicing and repairs of vehicles (routine and ad-hoc).
- Ensuring vehicle downtime for major repairs do not exceed three (3) days and minor repairs do not exceed one (1) day.
- Monitoring and streamlining fuel disbursement for all vehicles and drivers using fuel cards.
- Obtaining and maintaining vehicle licensing, registration and permits (all formalities and documentation) regarding the induction of new and existing vehicles.
- Directing activities related to dispatching, routing and tracking of all vehicles.
- Planning, organising and managing mechanics and drivers to ensure goals are accomplished in a manner consistent with the company’s requirements and report to the CFM accordingly.
- Negotiating with suppliers and ensuring prompt payment of vendors and clients.
- Managing relationship with clients and vendors.
- Managing accidents cases, prompt filing of necessary documents with the insurance company to process claims.
- Participate in various workshops and educational programs and maintain knowledge on all industry relevant topics.
What You will need for this position
- A Bachelor’s degree from a certified college or university with a major in Business Administration/Management, Operations, Accounting, Logistics or any related field.
- 12 years’ experience, 4 years’ experience in a management position.
- Strong experience in logistics and fleet operations/management.
- Communication and Interpersonal skills - for management reports, negotiating, managing team captains (and other subordinates), and maintaining internal and external relationships.
- Computer and Software skills – for the use of Microsoft Suite Applications, Tracking systems/software, logistics and supply chain software.
- Finance and Accounting Literacy – to understand how to establish departmental and fleet budgets
- Leadership skills - to supervise subordinates, critique work and carry our quality control and assurance.
- Technical skills – to understand vehicle systems, mechanics and technology sufficiently to authorise repairs and accurately evaluate the works of the maintenance and repairs staff.
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations – to be well versed in the environmental and safety law, rules and regulations relevant to the department.
- Highly self-motivated and energetic - to work in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Teamwork - to lead and coach subordinates and multiple management levels; to inspire a team towards a common purpose and vision.
KPIs that will be measured after you start
- Customer satisfaction KPI
- ROI KPI
- Productivity KPI
- Car safety KPI
- Driver safety KPI
- Driver behaviour KPI
- Efficiency KPI
- Compliance KPI
- Number of Driver workshops annually KPI
- Fleet utilization KPI
- Fuel Economy per Asset KPI
- Preventive Maintenance Compliance KPI
Who You'll Be Working with:
Directly reporting to our Country Manager and closely working with our Fleet Operations Team.
About the team
Our team is collaborative, positive, curious, and engaged. We think fast, work smart, laugh often, and are looking for like-minded people to join us in our mission to disrupt vehicle ownership and make cities better.
Moove is strongly committed to diversity within its community.
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently.
Pre-hiring Notice: Moove relies on the accuracy of information contained in employment applications, as well as the accuracy of other data presented throughout the hiring process and during employment. Any misrepresentations, falsifications, or material omissions in any information or data provided by an applicant may result in the applicant being excluded from further consideration for employment or, if an individual has already been hired, termination of employment.
EEO Statement: Moove is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, political affiliation or any other protected characteristic.
About Moove: Moove is a mobility asset finance company and is Uber's preferred fleet partner across Sub-Saharan Africa. Our Vision is to democratise vehicle ownership and empower mobility entrepreneurs across Africa.
Our Core values are Compassion, Excellence, Innovation, Teamwork, Trust and Ownership.
Head of Fleet
Loading application form
Already working at Moove?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.